Lions Bay Historical Society
Facts (Since Incorporation in 1971)
Here's some of the common questions we are asked about Lions Bay
Q.)Who first used the portion of land known as Lions Bay Beach Park?
A.) During the 1920's St. Mark's Anglican Church from Kitsilano in Vancouver used our Lions Bay Beach Park Area as a boy's Summer Camp.
Q.)When was the Squamish Highway opened?
A.) The Squamish Highway was opened in August, l958 and was gravelled. Until then, commuters had to rely on private boats or the railway to get to Squamish.
Q.)When were the first homes built in Lions Bay?
A.) Bob Nelson, the original developer of Lions Bay, sold the first lots in the Spring of l958 and aside from a shack on the old Miller property, now known as Kelvin Grove, the first homes were built around l958 and l959. The first families were the Stewart's, Coltart's and the Dalrymple's, to name a few. Bob Nelson also built the small wading pool and the beach house at Lions Bay Beach in the late l950's.
Q.) What was the status of Lions Bay prior to incorporation?
A.) Residents formed the Lions Bay Property Owners' Association. This Association was responsible, amongst other things, for many wonderful recreational events of the day. Lions Bay became a Water Improvement District in l964 and was incorporated as a Village on January 2nd, l971.
Q.) When was the first Seagull published?
A.) Bob Nelson first started publishing a newsletter to property owners in l959. This continued until October l969 when the first Seagull was distributed. It was originally published by the Property Owners' Association and subsequently by the Village Office Staff. The Seagull was published every 2 months until April l991. Several subsequent publications came and went. Communication is now largely done through Social Media.
Q.) What is the history of our Volunteer Fire Department and the fire trucks?
A.) The Volunteer Fire Department was well established by June 1970 and at first was run by several women in the Village because they were in the Village during the daytime and were very enthusiastic and dedicated. The Fire truck was purchased in l970 by residents Bob DeWolfe and Gary Ingram at a surplus auction in Richmond at a cost of $1,500. Gary Ingram was Lions Bay's first Fire Chief. This fire truck was eventually sold and the Village purchased a 1954 GMC from the Village of Warfield, B.C. in l974. Our current fire truck was purchased in l980 and the mini-pumper purchased in l988.